It's pretty common for Nice Guys and people pleasers to lose their ability to feel basic emotions, and eventually become pseudo-psychopathic. Here's why and how it happens, and what we can do about it.
- I grew up shamed for having emotions emotions - eg called a crybaby in school
- by 21 I felt nothing
- I developed a fear of being a psychopath
- I suppressed emotions to avoid pain and conflict
- Nice guys do what's called "method acting" - they become the character they've created
- chameleon effect - being a gas that fills the space but has no form without it
- avoidant attachment - keep everyone at arms length with nonchalance, humour, dishonesty, superficiality, hot n cold, alcohol n drugs
- key signs you're not a psycho - anxiety; depression; care for others wellbeing; used to have emotions (eg having been a sensitive kid)
- key is to start expressing what little emotions you have; get into confrontations; tell people how much you like/dislike them
Join the Premier International self-development community, and help us change the world.